4 pieces (~ 2 1/3 lb or 1045 g) pork bones, parboiled
2 large (~ 1 1/2 lb or 700 g) carrots, roughly chopped
2 (~ 1 1/5 lb or 527 g) corn on cob, chopped
1 (5 g) thin slice of ginger
2 (33 g) dried dates 蜜棗
1 small piece Chenpi 陳皮 (dried mandarin peel)
6 1/2 cups (1.625 L) cold water
Fine table salt to taste
1. Clean Pork Bone: Bring 2L of water to a boil. Then, boil the pork bones for 3 minutes to clean and remove the excess fat. Remove the pork bones and rinse them in cold tap water. We take this step whenever we make Chinese soups with pork bones or any other bones and meat.
2. Prepare the Ingredients: Soak 1 small piece of chenpi in cold water for 20 minutes. Wash the dried dates with cold running water. Prepare the rest of the ingredients as listed.
3. Pressure Cook Bone Soup: Place 4 pieces (1045 g) of parboiled pork bones, 700 g chopped carrots, 525 g chopped corn on cob, 1 (5 g) thin slice of ginger, 2 (33 g) dried dates, 1 small piece of chenpi, and 6 1/2 cups of cold water in the pressure cooker. Do not add any salt. Close the pressure cooker's lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 30 minutes + 15 minutes Quick Release. Turn off the heat. After 15 minutes, carefully turn the venting knob from sealing position to venting position to release the remaining pressure.
4. Seasoning: Carefully open the lid and heat up the pressure cooker to bring the soup back to full boil. Let the soup boil for and extra 10-15 minutes. add salt to taste. (Make sure to add in the salt slowly and keep tasting. Do not over season. For reference: We added roughly 1 1/2 teaspoon of fine table salt.)
5. Serve: You can use an oil separator to separate the oil with the soup. Enjoy this healthy and delicious Chinese pork bone soup.