1 rack of baby back ribs (~2lb)
----- Kalbi Marinade -----
1 Asian pear (370g), peeled & finely grated
1 whole garlic (37g), minced
1 small onion (104g), minced
½ teaspoon ginger (1g), minced
1 teaspoon (2.3g) freshly ground black pepper
½ cup (125ml) light soy sauce
2 tablespoons (42g) honey
2 tablespoons (25g) brown sugar
2 tablespoons (30ml) unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons (30ml) sesame oil
----- Garnish -----
1 – 2 stalks green onions, finely sliced
Toasted sesame seeds
1. Make the Kalbi Marinade
Speed up the Prep Process: Cut 1 small onion (104g), peeled Asian pear (370g) into smaller sizes. Process garlic (37g), onion pieces, ½ teaspoon ginger (1g), and Asian pear pieces in a food processor to a fine paste. Or you can mince these ingredients.
In a small mixing bowl, mix ½ cup (125ml) light soy sauce, 2 tbsp (42g) honey, 1 tsp (2.3g) freshly ground black pepper, 2 tbsp (25g) brown sugar, 2 tbsp (30ml) rice vinegar, 2 tbsp (30ml) sesame oil and the above processed onion paste together.
2. Marinate the Baby Back Ribs: Remove the membrane from baby back ribs (See Video). Place ribs and kalbi marinade in a large Ziploc bag. Partially close the bag and squeeze out the air in the bag. Close Ziploc bag and marinate ribs in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Optimal marinate time for baby back ribs is 6 – 8 hours.
3. Pressure Cook the Baby Back Ribs: Pour everything in the Ziploc bag into pressure cooker. Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 16 – 25 minutes. Adjust the timing according to your preference: 16 minutes (Tender with a bit of chew) to 25 minutes (Fall off the bone). Turn off the heat and full Natural Release. Open the lid.
4. Preheat Oven: While the pressure cooker is naturally releasing pressure. Preheat oven to 450°F
5. Reduce Kalbi Sauce and Finish in Oven: Reduce sauce over medium heat (Tatung: press Meat/Chicken button or Instant Pot: press Sauté button). Roughly 5 minutes. Taste and season sauce with more freshly ground black pepper if necessary.
Generously brush sauce on all sides of baby back ribs with a silicone basting brush. Place ribs in the oven for 4 – 8 minutes per side until caramelized.
6. Serve: Remove ribs from oven. Garnish with finely sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds. You can serve the remaining sauce as a dipping sauce for extra blast of flavors.