2 pounds pork hock pieces (1.5 inches in thickness)
1½ cup master stock
----- Garlic Dipping Sauce -----
2 tablespoon garlic, minced
60 ml master stock
¼ teaspoon sugar
----- Master Stock -----
1 cup water
2 slices ginger
3 garlic cloves
2 stalks green onion
1 Chinese cinnamon stick or substitute with Cinnamon stick
3 Star anise (八角)
1 Dried red chili or 1/2 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorn (花椒)
3 tablespoons Light soy sauce
3 tablespoons Dark soy sauce
1/2 cup Shaoxing wine
Half a stick of Brown sugar in pieces (冰片糖) or sugar (40 grams)
1. Optional Cleaning Step: Bring 3.5L of water to a boil. Then, boil the pork hock for 3 minutes to clean and remove the excess fat. Remove and rinse in cold tap water. We take this step whenever we make Chinese soups or cook in master stock with pork hock or any other bones and meat.
2. Pressure Cook the Pork Hock: Add the pork hock and 1.5 cup of master stock (see above tips section for simplified version) into the pressure cooker. Close the lid and cook at High Pressure for 20 minutes (For more tender results: use High Pressure for 30 minutes). Turn off the heat and full Natural Release (roughly 15 - 20 minutes). Open the lid carefully.
3. Marinate the Pork Hock: place the pork hock pieces in a smaller bowl, pour the master stock through a strainer and fully submerge the pork hock pieces in the master stock for at least 1 hour.
4. Make the Garlic Sauce: Mix 2 tablespoons of minced garlic, 60 ml of master stock and ¼ teaspoon of sugar together. Taste and add more sugar if necessary.
5. Serve: This dish is best served at room temperature. Slice the pork hock into thin slices and serve with the garlic sauce.